Friday, February 29, 2008

yum yum

Happy Leap Day everyone!
I know Valentine's Day is two weeks past and most of us have moved on the thinking of Spring and Easter. I know, I know, I have too. But, this recipe is so delicious and worth sharing. The original recipe is from the Jan./Feb. issue of Cottage Living and you can click here to see the original recipe.
But, me being me, I switched it up a little bit because of the ingredients list and because I do not have a food processor (it's on my list of "things to get") So, without further ado,
Chocolate-Dipped Hazelnut Shortbread Hearts renamed:

~Pecan Shortbread Hearts with Chocolate glaze~

1/2 C. chopped pecans
1/2 C. sugar
1 C. all-purpose flour
1/4 C. corn starch
1/4 t. kosher salt
8 T. butter, softened
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 large egg yolk
10 oz. Ghirardelli dark chocolate

1. Chop pecans with knife or chopper (mine came from The Pampered Chef and does an amazing job) until nuts are finely ground. Put nuts, softened butter, vanilla, and egg yolk in bowl of mixer and beat until combined and dough starts to form and leave sides of bowl. Scrape sides of bowl occasionally. (Dough will be slightly crumbly but will come together fully when kneaded.)

2. Remove dough from mixer and knead lightly 2 or 3 times. Flatten into disc, wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours or up to 3 days. Remove from refrigerator 10 minutes prior to rolling.

3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut heart shapes with a 2 1/2-inch cookie cutter, and place on a baking stone (also Pampered Chef) or parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Gather and reroll dough scraps, and cut again.

4. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or just until edges turn light golden brown. Remove from oven, transfer cookies to a wire rack, and cool completely.

5. Melt chocolate in microwave, stirring chocolate every 10-30 seconds. Cool slightly. Using an offset spatula, "frost" top of cookies with melted chocolate and place back on wire rack to solidify.
Store in a single layer in an air tight container for up to 5 days. (Trust me, they will not last near that long.) Makes around 2 1/2 dozen.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend. Spend some time with your family and dear ones. Get out and enjoy the beautiful weather. Make some delicious cookies. Watch a good movie.

I will be taking a short blogging break next week. But, I will be back next Thursday and eager to hear all about your week. I hope to get lots done while I'm gone and maybe have a shop update. Maybe. No promises. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm those look soooo good! Thanks for the recipe:)

Lisa said...

these cookies sound great and I can not wait to try them! Enjoy your week and blog break, although you will be missed around here...

swell.life said...

Yum! I'll definitely have to give this a whirl.

 
Real Time Web Analytics