Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Happy St. Lucia's Day








The 13th was St. Lucia's Day. No, we aren't Catholic, and we aren't even celebrating Advent this year (much as I would love to.) But, this day has always had a special charm all it's own for me ever since I was a little girl, old enough to read the Kirsten books from American Girl. She was my doll, living in a period of history that I loved very much. I even got to dress up one year, with the help of my best friend who happened to be visiting us that week, and deliver cinnamon rolls and coffee to both of our sets of parents in bed. It is a good memory, though thankfully, the pictures have been buried for the time being. :)


When I woke up Monday and realized the date, I knew I wanted to do something special, albeit small, just for Olivia and I and Rose. So, I set about making up a quick recipe of sweet bread turned into a "special" St. Lucia's Day ring. I did a little google search and was totally inspired by this lady's post, even though it's from last year. We didn't do too much, some paper dolls, a cinnamon roll ring eaten by candle light (for lunch) and a little prayer. But seriously, it was so calm and peaceful. Something I haven't experienced much of this month sadly. It was just perfect.


An accidental happy mistake.
Heart shaped rolls.

It was a perfect day of quiet peacefulness in the morning
even though we accomplished a lot.
And then an afternoon spent running errands, but still at peace.
So amazing how a little thing, like a decision to have a peace-filled day,
can make all the difference.
I hope each one of you can find a quiet moment in your day -
in your week- to have the same.


1 comment:

Nikki said...

This is such a lovely idea!! I've never celebrated St. Lucia's Day, though I loved Kirsten too. :-) Your sweet bread looks a-mazing...I'm getting hungry looking at it!

 
Real Time Web Analytics