Sunday, December 21, 2008

December Daily: Day 21


Day 21

Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

No thank you on the egg nog. I don't do raw eggs. Ever.
And I only drink hot chocolate once, maybe twice a year. And I'm good with that.

Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

We wrap all the presents except for one or two of the "big" gifts for that year.
Then we sneak down really early and position it right where we can get the perfect shot of the look of surprise and delight on the child's face. At least, that's how it's suppose to work. :)

Colored lights on tree/house or white?

I do all white lights on the tree and the house. I think it looks classic.
But I'm thinking about doing another tree upstairs, next year, that's all colored lights and multi-colored ornaments. Mike's really been hinting at some extra color lately. :)

Do you hang mistletoe?

Not since I've been married and have a baby. (poison mistletoe berries, anyone?) But, my mom and I did every year. I was always disappointed that the guy I had a crush on never came to the parties and caught me under the mistletoe. (silly teenage crushes) Come to think of it, I've never been kissed under the mistletoe. Hummmmm....might have to change that. :)

When do you put your decorations up?

Usually the 1st week of December or the week of Thanksgiving, depending on my mood. And the weather. And if we're traveling or having company.

What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?

So hard to pick just one. I love the cranberry fluff and homemade noodles that my mother in-law fixes for Thanksgiving. I love the breads we make to give as gifts. I really like the sticky, gooey, sweet breakfast bread we make for every Christmas morning breakfast, every year that I can remember.

Favorite Holiday memory as a child:

My favorite memories always include lots of family. But, the most memorable one is the Christmas that I was 10 years old. My mom was pregnant, expecting her third baby. Her due date was December 22, but this baby seemed intent on staying put. We had a pleasant Christmas Eve, all of our small family over for dinner. My parents and I stayed up late putting my little brother's big Christmas gift together until about midnight. We finally went to sleep, never suspecting anything than a normal Christmas. We were all up early and enjoying opening our packages. My Mom mentioned to my Dad that she was having some contractions, but that wasn't really anything new. She had been having them for two weeks now. But, around the time that she put the turkey in the oven, she decided that this was it. She called the midwife, told her the contractions, and she told her to get to the hospital. Away went my brother to a family members house and we went to the hospital. Several hours later, at 5:30 pm, my baby sister, Violet, was born. It was an amazing experience for a 10 year old girl. And a wonderful Christmas gift. This has to be one of my most favorite Christmas memories.

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

I'm not sure I ever really believed in Santa. My parents always emphasized the birth of Jesus as being the real reason of Christmas, so Santa was kind of an after thought. I think I was about 6 when everything finally made sense and I was able to understand the "legend" or "myth" of Santa and comprehend the joy and wonder of Christ's birth. Now I'm happy to be able to share the true story of St. Nicholas with Olivia and see her understand what it's really all about. It's so cool to see your child "get it."

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

When I was a child, yes. As a grown-up, no. Now I let Olivia open one, which is usually a new Christmas book and a pair of Christmas pajamas.

How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?

1st with hundreds of white lights. Then we put all of the glass Christmas balls on. When that's finished, we add our special ornaments that we've collected since being married, made or had given to us. Finally, Mike and Olivia put the tree topper on and it's all finished and time to take pictures.

Snow! Love it or Dread it?

I love it, once or twice a year. :) But, we only get snow down here, once every 7 years or so. Our best chance of snow is visiting family in OK at Thanksgiving and it's only happened once. But, growing up in the mountains of NC, we had snow some and it was the BEST. All of us bundled up and enjoying the snow. It was always something straight out of Amy Grant's "Tender Tennessee Christmas" song. The best memories.

Can you ice skate?

I've only been twice and the last time was 14 years ago. So, it's been awhile. :)

Do you remember your favorite gift?

The same Christmas that my little sister was born, I received a used band flute as a gift from my parents. The following year I began to take lessons. It has been a gift that has touch my life, because of the gift of music. I took flute lessons until I was 17 years old and hope to one day take them again. I think a gift of music, or the ability to make music, is a wonderful gift for any child.

What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?

Being with my family has always been the most important thing to me. This year, we aren't with any family except Mike, Olivia, Rose, and myself. But I've made peace with that and this year my most important thing has been a) making memories with my daughters, b) guarding my peace which I have done my imperfect best at, and c) celebrating and remembering that the whole reason we do this thing called "Christmas" is because of Christ.

What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?

I love pies, so we do lots of them.
Gingerbread with fresh whipped cream is another love.

What is your favorite holiday tradition?

Christmas Eve service at our church is truly amazing and it just would not be Christmas without it.
Another thing I love is a small little thing with Olivia. For each weekend of the month of December (there are usually 4) I buy and wrap up one new Christmas book. And during the weekend some time, usually at bedtime, she get's to open one and we read that Christmas story that night. This year I did all nativity books and bought one that I had from when I was a little girl and read with my own mother. Sweet memories.

What tops your tree?

A big shiny silver star. Mike decreed our 1st Christmas that he wanted a star, not an angle on our tree. Me, traditionalist, had always had an angle growing up and wanted one, but I couldn't find any to fit my desires, so star it was and has been for 7 years now.

Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?

I love to give gifts. Thinking and planning, searching out or making the perfect gift is so much fun for me. I do enjoy getting gifts, especially from certain people, but giving them is more fun for me.

What is your favorite Christmas Song?

"Love is a Christmas Rose" by Perry Como, "Go Tell It On the Mountain" by Jim Neighbors, "Come On Ring Those Bells" by Evie ?, Silent Night and so many others. I love Christmas music and drive my husband crazy with it. Each year I usually latch on to one or two CD's and play them constantly. This year is has been the "Celtic Women Christmas" CD and "Winter Wonderland" with Johnny Mathis record. (Yes, we still listen to records. It's actually our prefered method of Christmas music listening.)

Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?

ummm, no. No thank you. I will use them to decorate gingerbread houses with, but I do not want to eat them.

1 comment:

Jacy said...

Your Christmas sounds so wonderful Fairlight! We have a lot in common as well as far as Christmas goes! I loved reading and learning more about you this time of the year...I hope you guys have a very merry Christmas!!!
Many blessings your way

 
Real Time Web Analytics