Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day

No, we're not "tree-huggers," (maybe we are) but I think we kind of fall into the "crunchy" group of people. Yeah, we're a little on the weird side,(and I have been hiding it from, you guys!) but I'm ok with it. :) We had planed a day to be outside, planting morning glory's, sunflowers, zinnias, and petunias and doing a little weeding in the beds, but it's cloudy, overcast, and chilly outdoors so we will be postponing those activities until a warmer day. Maybe tomorrow.
But, I thought I would share my recipe for home made laundry soap (which I had to make today), in honor of this very "green" day. :)

1 bar of grated soap (Fels Naptha is recommended, I get mine at Publix in the laundry section. Also, just so you know, I have used Dove brand and handmade natural soaps too, but to be really green you should probably use a natural soap that doesn't have a lot of chemicals in it. )
1 cup borax
1 cup WASHING soda (Arm and Hammer makes it and it's usually in the detergent aisle, again I get mine at Publix. Our Walmart doesn't carry it.)
**optional*** 1/4 cup of Oxyclean (I don't use Oxyclean, I use OxySun because it doesn't have all the harsh chemicals in it that would hurt the baby's skin as well as being not so great for the environment)

Mix it all up in a reused covered tub. Add 1 TABLESPOON (2 if it's really nasty) per load of laundry. This recipe is great to double or triple and it's wonderfully cost effective.

I got the recipe from Beth with this post who got it from this website. (And not, I didn't go hunting for the post. Sorry!)

Here's what they had to say about the penny pinching aspect of it: "Cost to make your own: Around $2 per batch. This is about 5.7 cents per load (using 2 tablespoons for each load, you get about 35 loads). Arm & Hammer laundry detergent is about 12.4 cents per load. Tide detergent is 30 cents and more per load."

That's pretty darn good if you ask me!

I'll be back soon with Birthday party updates and hopefully some "Passion." :)



2 comments:

Lisa said...

These pictures of Olivia's birthday party look pretty darling ~ looks like you guys had a lot of fun! Best of luck in your planting (I do miss having a yard of my own to make pretty ...)

Leslie said...

the party looks so cute...
and happy earth day to you too, awesome on the soap, and hopefully some sunshine today.

 
Real Time Web Analytics