By Abraham Lincoln
"The year that is drawing toward its close has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added which are of so extraordinary a nature that they can not fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever-watchful providence of Almighty God.
"In the midst of a civil war of unequaled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign states to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere, except in the theater of military conflict, while that theater has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union.
"Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defense have not arrested the plow, the shuttle, or the ship; the ax has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well as the iron and coal as of our precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege, and the battlefield, and the country, rejoicing in the consciousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom.
"No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy.
"It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently, and gratefully acknowledged, as with one heart and one voice, by the whole American people. I do therefore invite my fellow-citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next as a day of thanksgiving and praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners, or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the imposition of the Almighty hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it, as soon as may be consistent with the divine purpose, to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquility, and union.
"In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed."
Done at the city of Washington, this 3rd day of October, A.D. 1863
Taken from the Dave Ramsey website. Can be seen here.
Monday, November 02, 2009
My dear friend, Katie, has awarded me (and several other sweet friends) the 'Over the top' blog award. Thank you! And while I don't feel "over the top" (hello lost little blog!) I am very honored.
Part of this award is answering a little quiz and passing it on to 6 other bloggy friends.
so here goes ...
1. where is your cell phone:utterly lost. Mike took it running errands one day and it never cam home.
2. your hair: is long. "Someone" wants me to cut it short. I'm terribly undecided.
3. your father: is someone I love dearly.
4. your favorite food: the food that I don't eat. lol Pizza, ice cream, bread, desserts.
5. your dream from last night:I'd rather not try and remember. I have such crazy dreams.
6. your favorite drink: hot tea most days with an occasional latte or frappachino thrown in.
7. Your dream/goal: a farm, in the country. Lots of animals, lots of babies, and lots of family around. And a successful sewing/crafting venture with publication. Writing a book, at least one.
Building our own farm house. I could fill pages with dreams and goals.
8. what room are you in: the FROG.
9. what is your hobby: washing dishes, folding laundry, cooking 3 meals a day, vacuuming, scrubbing bathtubs and toilets, teaching 2nd grade, wiping faces and hinney's, buying groceries, mopping the kitchen. lol
10. what is your fear: losing a child
11. where do you want to be in 6 years: see #7
12. where were you last night: at home, talking on the phone, eat popcorn, and watching movies with Mike and the kids.
13. something you are not: outgoing, organized, on-time, good at saying "no"
14. muffins: blueberry with strusel topping, apple cinnamon, or peanut butter with raspberry jelly on the side.
15. wish list items: that will be coming soon. Mike needs some ideas.
16. where did you grow up: everywhere. Kansas, West Texas, North Carolina, East Texas, and South Carolina.
17. last thing you did: read Olivia her spelling words.
18. what are you wearing:yoga pants, sweatshirt, and socks. It's cold today!
19. your tv: is off.
20. your pets: are non existent. Unless you consider the dust bunnies "pets."
21. your friends: are a blessing.
22. your life: is in an ever present state of flux, learning, and change. But, good.
23. your mood: is quiet. Lots to think about.
24. missing someone: lots of people. Family and friends can all seem very far away at times.
25. vehicle: a total "mom" car. Toyota mini van. But I've wanted one since I was 8. :)
26. something your not wearing: can't think of anything.
27. your favorite store: People, Places, and Quilts.
28. your favorite color: turquoise, lavender, yellow, and pink for my house. But navy, plum, gray, black, and dark green is I'm wearing it.
29. when's the last time you laughed: this morning at Rose. She's always doing something silly.
30. when's the last time you cried: last week some time probably.
31. your best friend: I don't think I have just one. Many different friends fill many different places in my life. I won't name names.
32. one place you go over and over: the grocery store
33. one person who emails me regularly: Chelle, Jenni, Debbi.
34. Favorite place to eat: I don't really have one. Panera is our usual place of choice, but I'm sure there is better out there.
Now, to nominate. I will try not to overlap KT's nom's even though I think she was absolutely correct in all of them! :) My choices are
Keri of Pink Lemonade
Jessica of Living the Swell Life
Misha of Beauty and Joy
Jenni of Lana Bella
Nicole of Lillyella
Aminta of Beauty in Simplicity
Have fun you guys!
Posted by Fairlightday at 12:58 PM